Thursday, January 24, 2013

Wang Ping- "Book War"

This essay made me realize how lucky we are to have the freedom in our country to read what we want. To have the freedom to read fairytales and books about our past where we don't have to hide our mistakes by lies, even though we do sometimes do this. To see how much book meant to other people, is just amazing. I couldn't imagine living somewhere, where I couldn't read Harry Potter or Pride and Prejudice. "When I saw stars rising in their dimmed eyes, I knew I had won the war."

4 comments:

  1. I understand, this is something I've thought about a lot as an english major and an avid lover of books. I think you gave me a great insight to what this essay is about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Banning books and censorship is a reactionary mistake for any society. I'm also glad to have free reign to access the thoughts and ideas I want without fear of danger or consequence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also am glad there is no censorship of books here. Just imagine the riots if Fifty Shades of Grey was banned! Angry housewives pillaging and looting to stockpile the last copies, cities burning in their wake... No, I am definitely glad we don't ban books anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good commenting.

    Kayla, can you imagine a reader of your post who hasn't looked at "Book War." Give a sentence or two of summary and also think about including some text from the essay so you can anazlye a specific moment of the artistry.

    Nice start.

    DW

    ReplyDelete