Friday, March 22, 2013

Media

This is supposed to be about media and how it has impacted me or something like that. But to be honest I have no idea how the media has done anything to me. I don't know to what extent the media has influenced my life, because its something that has always been in my life. It's like trying to imagine my life if I were a boy. I don't know who I'd be if media wasn't in my life.
Now I'm not trying to sound like the media has control of my life, because it doesn't. What I am saying is that who knows what i'd be like if there wasn't media. Would my music choices he different? What about my religious views? Would I still be this shy? Would I have decided to pick the career I did?
The media, wether formal or informal, is in everyone's lives. The commercials on the radio, bits of gossip, news shows, magazines and newspapers. All give you information about all sorts of things. Some important like the weather, marriages and deaths, and some not important, like which celeb is in jail or just broke up. WHO CARES? I certainly don't see why everyone cares so much what Kim K is doing all day everyday. Why are we so wrapped up in the lives of people who are famous? Why is there more celeb gossip on the news all the time?
I guess what I'm getting at is that we are all effected by the media. We read it, watch it and listen to it everyday. Who would we be if Keeping up with the Kardashians didn't exist? Would we be a different society who was into different things? Without the media would we have different cultural norms than now? It's hard to tell how much the media has effected me the last 21 years and how it will continue to effect me.

6 comments:

  1. for the last paragraph, you're looking for "affected," I'm really poor at explaining grammar (which is the only thing holding me back from being a writing tutor, a frustration at my lack of patience and aptitude at getting things across) but you probably wanna look up the difference between them.

    I liked how you used Kim K here, and the fact that everyone reading this knows exactly who you're talking about says a lot.

    I don' know, it's really hard to get into something that starts with listing the assignment, or saying what you're supposed to do, because it feels like the only purpose to the piece is because you have to do it. How is that fun for the reader? It bums me out, like you don't want to write, and then i don't feel like reading if you didn't feel like writing it. I think you need a new entry point of interest to kick this off, maybe try working in a single moment of culture (Keeping up w/ Kardashians?) and then bring it to the broader scale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two words are essentially the same thing, but different parts of speech: effect=noun, affect=verb. You can't turn a noun, such as "effect" into a past participle such as "effected." Being a verb, "affect" can be used a past participle in the form of "affected." That's my grammar presentation, tell me if it's any good Matt and Kayla.

      Delete
  2. I like your Kardashians reference. Whenever I want to talk about how dumb America is I pick that show and its popularity to exemplify it.

    I understand Matt's point about mentioning the assignment. But I think if it's done right it can show your though about it and how this certain topic was difficult--so instead of writing the blog you're talking about the difficulty about writing this blog. I think that can be an interesting way to do it. But if you're going to do it that way I think there should be some more humor involved or some kind of Inception-like set up. That'd be interesting! A blog within a blog within a blog!

    I do very much agree with your tone. I think reality shows are ridiculous and people being famous for being rich or being famous for being famous is too. It's funny, I agree with you, but it seeps into us without even being aware. I occasionally catch myself looking into celebrity news and wonder why I'm doing it when I think it's so silly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kayla, you should deal with media on a deeper level than just the Kardashian's. Yes, slutty Armenians who rode the gravy train of media are an example of media's effects, but media does much more than just publicize celebrities. What I am saying is that they are always easy targets. Dig deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's interesting how you point out that it's hard to imagine our lives without media, because we have grown up with it, and it has shaped us in so many ways - ways that we may even be unaware of. Also, though I agree with Tristan that the Kardashians are an easy target, I like how you question what our society would be like without them. Of course, we'll probably never know - but it is cool how you want to analyze this.
    I enjoy your use of questions within your essays, but I think I would also like to see more imagery. Maybe you could show us your points rather than telling/asking? I think doing this would really enhance your essay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good start, but "it's hard to tell" is the beginning of an essay, not the end. I think you're right that it's hard to compare yourself to a person who couldn't possibly exist now--someone who isn't influenced by media. But that wasn't the assignment. That was the assignment you gave yourself. So, either give it a shot, or pick another topic, right? :-)

    Anyway, good with the rhetorical questions, but we could see more attempted answers, more pondering, more description.

    ReplyDelete