Friday, February 22, 2013

Son of Mr. Green Jeans- Dinty W. Moore

This essay first caught my attention because of the way the first page is set up. I turn to the first page and I see the author and title and then I see,
"Allen, Tim
Best know as the father on ABC's Home Improvement (1991-99), the popular comedian was born Timothy Allen Dick, on June 13, 1953. When Allen was eleven years old, his father, Gerald Dick, was killed by a drunk drive while driving home from a University of Colorado football game."
My interest is immediately sparked. I loved Home Improvement when I was younger. I would watch with my dad and we would just laugh at the show. The essay was so good and interesting and it was interesting to  read how fathers act in different situations.  The rest of the essay goes in a similar fashion. It gives a name, a noun or even an animal and explain how fathers play a role in this. Other headings that come up are Carp, Divorce, Jaws, Y-Chromosomes and Emperor Penguins. Under each of these heading is a description of how the father plays a role in the heading. Under Carp it talks about how the father carp protects the eggs after the female lays them. If I were to write one of these it would say

"Kayla's Dad
Best known as Dave Lehman, born on May 21, 1966. Dave has four daughters and was not around much for them growing up. Now he is the reason Kayla is untrustworthy of men and can't find a decent relationship, because she looks for guys like her father. While he is a good dad, he showed Kayla a relationship for 14 years that was not okay to have."



3 comments:

  1. BAM. That last part was intense, very blunt and provocative. I too watched Home Improvement and think this would be an interesting read. I like how you emulated the quote you pulled out from it--I have felt much the same in regard to my father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! This is for sure my favorite thing you've written; so matter of fact but so bitter. Emulation was a GREAT addition. I read/reviewed this the other week but you probably had a better take than I did, in all honesty. That little blurb was absolutely transcendent, I'm thrilled that you let that out and how it rides the fence of both humor and pain. Would love to read more about that relationship influencing your trysts.

    minor corrections- "My interest is immediately sparked." should be interest was, because you opened with caught in the past tense, instead of catches, so you want to stay in the past all the way through.

    "so good and interesting and it was interesting to" I would find a different adjective to replace one of the interestings here.

    Great work, Kayla!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clearly, your emulation piques my interest more than your analysis. You could definitely funnel that energy you had in those few short lines into an entire emulation of this essay. I would encourage you to do so, because, as Matt said, it was remarkably fine, especially considering how short it was! Your passionate writing that's shown there should come out more!

    Good job Kayla.

    ReplyDelete